Monday, September 1, 2008

LDUC

I attended the Men's/Open division of the Labor Day Ultimate Competition in Santa Cruz this past weekend. The top teams in the nation were present, including Sockeye, Furious George, Johnny Bravo, and many more.

This tournament allowed me to watch and learn about all those teams that I kept seeing in videos and hearing about from my fellow teammates. Seeing national level play is definitely inspirational, and meeting new people in the Ultimate community is pretty awesome. Of course I saw Allen with the Condors, but he broke his foot trying to D a GOAT (really Allen??). I got introduced to 808 in person, which was nice and I also met Taylor who plays for YR and is the captain of the Davis team.

Johnny Bravo was my favorite team there, with Chicken and his red headband being my favorite player. The Boston vs. Bravo game was the most intense game I saw, with amazing layout Ds and catches. Bravo ended up defeating Boston to make it to the finals to play Sockeye (who actually lost to Boston on the first day).

Bravo started off the finals quite well, getting 2 breaks on Sockeye before the half. Unforunately for Bravo, they began making mistakes later in the game, allowing Sockeye to take advantage of those errors to get breaks and ending the finals 15-10. In my opinion, the main reason Sockeye won is the fact that their players are in top condition, allowing them to play consistently for a longer time. Their endurance allows them to outlast other teams, which is important if you're going to be playing in the finals.

All in all, it was a positive experience, and has only strengthened my determination to get better.


Links:
  Tournament Site
  Tournament Results

2 comments:

Monica Matsumoto said...

Kudos!!! Good observations
I need to start getting serious for this season..

Alma said...

What the hell, Thunder!
Why didn't you tell me you were going to be at Santa Cruz!? I would have at least tried to make more of an effort to go, heh.
Glad you had fun watching and met new people (i.e. 808 and Taylor i.e. chumps).
=]